10th Hakaya Festival
Amman, 10-15 September 2017
Call for Applications
Al Balad Theater and the Arab Education Forum are pleased to announce the call for applications to participate in the Tenth edition of the Hakaya Festival that will take place in Amman, Jordan between the 10th and 15th of September, 2017 in collaboration with the Arab Theater Training Centre / Lebanon and El Warsha Theater Group / Egypt.
The festival has the following objectives:
- Reclaim the centrality of stories to learning, art and life.
- Enhance the culture and art of storytelling in Jordan.
- Present diverse storytelling experiences from around the world.
- Provide a space for interaction between storytellers from the Arab world in particular and the world in general.
- Provide training opportunities for beginner and advanced storytellers.
- Connect between different disciplines that are mutually enriching for the art of storytelling such as oral history, theatre, films, etc..
Themes for the 10th edition:
The festival artistic committee has decided to focus this edition of the festival around four central themes that reflect current concerns both regionally and globally. Projects are still welcome for submission even if they do not fall within these themes.
- Tales of the revolution.
- Tales of travel and migration.
- Human tales from around the world (traditional and contemporary).
- Tales of the city.
This call for applications is open to:
- Storytelling performances (Traditional or contemporary, in all languages)
- Theatre performances (Monodrama or any type of performing arts based on storytelling)
- Multi-media / Installations (Video or audio or others)
- Workshop / Training (Training for youth or adults on storytelling or performance techniques or other relevant issues)
- Films (Short or feature that use storytelling as a primary communication tool or are based on people’s stories/lives)
- Meetings (about storytelling and its connection to literature, art, learning, and life).
- Research / Publications (e.g. Oral history collections, personal narratives, etc…).
If you are interested in presenting your work at this year’s festival please fill out the application form (attached) and send it before the 30this of May 2017 to:
firstname.lastname@example.org and email@example.com